I’ve been using Github for quite a while, but yesterday I actually learned how to use it.
See… I’ve been working on a Patch for CyanogenMod 9 that will add several features to the Phone App. Features I really like and were part of CyanogenMod 7…
However one of the things I had to do was write each line of code’s author, which wouldn’t be a big issue, except that I included 18 language translations, and hunting down each translation via github’s Commit History was going to be a pain….
But then I learned, thanks to jcsullins on Freenode, that there’s this awesome “Blame” button, which I had seen a million times but never pressed. The Blame button shows you line by line, which commit/author made it possible. This allowed me to trace the translation authors down to their actual commit.
The issue I had then, was that Github super-flavored the actual git patch. A quick Google-search taught me that adding “.patch” to the end of a github commit url would display the actual patch in plaintext.
So it took me a while, but I managed to gather every author of every line of code and translation (And I hope I didn’t miss any), but thanks to Git’s advanced features and Github’s awesome UI, I got it done and it was easier than I had thought.
Thanks Git, Github!
Now, to rewrite the functions so they comply with CyanogenMod’s standards…