Announcing: Fedora Retro

Some of us are just reluctant to change, and Fedora introduces a plethora of new, awesome features every 6 months, which forces us to either learn new features like SystemD, KDE4,  Gnome’s Hell Gnome 3 or go the way of the dinosaur…

Fedora Retro is a brand new repository, built and tested on Fedora 16 – Verne, that contains packages we know you’ve missed, like Gnome 1.0 and Gnome 2.0, KDE 1 through KDE 3.5, Open Office, Gimp and even the Linux Kernel 0.01. There’s even an 8-Bit Graphics Theme, to give it an extra oomph.

Insane, you say? It is, but installing the Fedora Retro Repository allows you to easily try out all the packages you missed, without abandoning the new features you know and love from Fedora.

Why wait? Set up the Fedora Retro Repo, and yum install the good times!

Share and Enjoy!
-Nushio

Update: Sorry to disappoint, but in case it wasn’t perfectly obvious, this was my April Fool’s prank for this year. Here’s Last year’s, in case you missed it.

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Fedora, Free Software, packaging, rpm
11 comments on “Announcing: Fedora Retro
  1. MV says:

Maybe an ignorant question.
    But what’s the baseurl to set this up ?

Cheers,
    M.

2. OERNii says:

Well, it a shame really, that the date is as it is. I, for one would welcome this.

3. jbal says:

OMG! I just installed FR and it rocks!!!

4. nicu says:

tell me more about the 8-Bit graphics theme

5. Howell says:

Did you hear? Microsoft is making Windows 8 a gnome s hell clone. In light of this, the gnome devs are reconsidering their radical tablet approach to graphical computer user interfaces.

Beginning with gnome 3.7, the old codebase will be forked and development shell continue as if nothing had happened.

Cheers,
    Howell

6. Mike says:

And here I went to look this up for a buddy after seeing him complain once again about GNOME 3 and empathy eating IM’s.

:-(

I guess I will just keep suggesting Finch with libpurple. :-)

I really like Pidgin as my favorite IM/IRC Client. I’ve never really used Finch, but Pidgin is way better than Empathy, presentation-wise. :-)

7. Rick Sykes says:

I was heartbroken to find out that this post was just a joke. I upgraded to Fedora 16, and consider Gnome 3 a big step backwards.

For people who share my opinion, apparently someone has forked Gnome 3.x to create a Gnome 2.x-like environment. See http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Cinnamon-12-desktop-environment-released/

I’m in the middle of income tax preparation, and haven’t tried it. YMMV.

Cinnamon is indeed awesome and available for Fedora 16. It’s what I’ve been using. Gnome 3 is indeed a step backwards.