BlueBubble: The Fine Manual

Because we’re often told to RTFM, I decided to write one for the project.
This guide requires common sense and perhaps technical knowledge of what you’re doing.

Upgrading from Fedora 14 – Gnome

Installing BlueBubble from Fedora 15.

For starters, Read The FAQ. You can set up the BlueBubble repository by using gedit (or vi, or your favorite editor) /etc/yum.repos.d/bluebubble.repo

[BlueBubble]
name=BlueBubble Project Packages
baseurl=http://bluebubble.k3rnel.net/repo
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-bluebubble

You’ll also want to import the rpm key.

rpmkeys –import http://bluebubble.k3rnel.net/repo/RPM-GPG-KEY-bluebubble

This repository contains a lot of conflicting packages. This is natural, you can’t have gedit-2.32 and gedit-3 installed at the same time, and yum will complain from time to time, but you’re free to choose which packages to stick in most cases.

There are at least two ways to do this. If you’re uncomfortable with staying under a command-line-interface for too long, Install KDE and load it, otherwise booting into “Run Level 3” does the job without the KDE requirement. Once it’s safe to remove Gnome, then go ahead and

yum remove gnome-panel nautilus gnome-terminal gedit control-center control-center-filesystem evolution-data-server file-roller gnome-bluetooth gnome-power-manager libgdata libgweather libgnomekbd

Once you’re Shell-Free, you can yum groupinstall gnome-desktop-classic. I added gdm as part of the group, but gdm looks ugly because of mismatching themes. If you prefer, you can replace gdm with kdm, though that will drag KDE packages. Here’s how to switch to kdm.

Reboot your computer once you’re done and enjoy Gnome 2.32 on Fedora 15. I’m aware that certain programs can’t be installed due to incompatible requirements (Such as gLabels, which requires evolution-data-server-3 while we’re sticking with evolution-data-server-2.32). The only thing I can do is provide alternative packages (glabels-classic, in this case) which would be the same version you were running on Fedora 14.

I created a Bug Tracker page where you can report missing packages (Such as the Fast-User-Switcher applet), or broken compatibility (Such as the gLabels example) and don’t forget to Read The FAQ.

Switching back to Gnome 3.

If for whatever reason you decide that Gnome ‘Classic’ on Fedora 15 just isn’t for you…. No hard feelings. Switching back to Gnome 3 is pretty simple. Just yum groupremove gnome-desktop-classic (or just remove the -classic packages) from either KDE or Run Level 3 (Same as above), and then yum groupinstall gnome-desktop to install Gnome 3.

Last, but not least, I’d like to give a shout out to the many people who helped me out on this mad quest to bring old Gnome onto new Fedora. In no particular order, thanks to Kevin Fonzi (nirik)Tom Callaway (spot), Guillermo Gomez (gomix), Rex Dieter (rdieter) (And whoever else I forgot to name) for helping me out with technical aspects. Paulo Cereda who helped me out with the logo, video and other things, and finally, the entire Gnome Development Team and Fedora’s Packagers for making Gnome 2.32 as awesome as it is. They’re the ones that did all the hard work. Thanks!

Final Notes

In some cases, you can install ‘new’ packages (like gnome-terminal, gedit and nautilus) on Gnome 2.32. You can also use this repository’s ‘old’ packages on Gnome 3. Either way, you might want to modify your /root/.bashrc file and add alias yum=”yum –skip-broken”, because yum will always try to update your ‘classic’ packages, give up on it, and forget to update the rest.

The Future

I learned a thing or two based on recompiling Gnome and I think the time and effort put into BlueBubble could be better used in making Gnome 3 suck less, so my next project will be providing a Fedora-compatible repository (Separate from BlueBubble) which will help bring Gnome 2′s goodies into Gnome 3′s fallback mode without having to stick with old libraries and packages. Exact details and all will be provided in a separate blogpost. Stay tuned.

I’ve already done the impossible. This should be a piece of cake.

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Fedora, packaging
23 comments on “BlueBubble: The Fine Manual
  1. Jouk says:

Great, thanks I got it working on a X86-64 Machine.

However the easy procedure you suggest did not work for me. So what I did

– Install F15
    – Install KDE
    -Add the bluebubble repo
    – Import the key. Your command seem to be wrong it should be
    rpmkeys –import http://bluebubble.k3rnel.net/repo/RPM-GPG-KEY-bluebubble
    -the command “yum groupremove gnome-desktop” tried to remove too much (even some
    basic KDE stuff. So I skipped this. I did run “yum groupinstall gnome-desktop-classic” to
    see the conflicting GNOME3 packages and remove them.
    -Finally I installed one by one the “classic” packages from Bluebubble, (on the way removing
    some conflicting packages.
    -I experienced some problems with the x86-64 version of libgweather-classic. Yum did not
    seem to install it properly. So I downloaded the RPM and used rpm to install it.
    -After rebooting I got kdm and the first time loging into GNOME got me a message that GNOME3
    could not startup, but the panel appeared and I could start applications from it.

Thanks again
    Jouk

Updated ‘The Fine Manual’ based on your feedback. Thanks a lot for testing.
      Could you describe what sorts of issues you had with libgweather-classic? I’m on x86_64 too.

Thanks!

• jouk says:

It refused to install libgweather-classic using yum. so I downloaded the rpm and used rpm to install. After that many packages tried to install libgweather instead of using the file form libgweather-classic. (all x86-64) packages)

2. Jouk says:

I fully agree with your view of the future.
    In order of importance to me I would thing of the following “improvements” to GNOME3
    -Panel : have all the short cuts to applications and workspaces at one glance and all the
    “drop-down” menus for all tasks: Touch and feel of “old” panel
    -Make things more flexible : Panel not only on top
    Allow adjusting colours to accommodate the user eyes

Jouk

3. Max says:

It’s been really amazing to watch you work through all of this in the time since the Fedora 15 release. Congrats on doing such a tremendous amount of heavy lifting in such a short time. BlueBubble and GNOME 2 on Fedora 15 is a tremendous example of the Freedom foundation of Fedora, and of the open source way in general.

4. Matruskan says:

“the time and effort put into BlueBubble could be better used in making Gnome 3 suck less”
    Will you hate me if I say “I told you so”?

No, I won’t, however I did gain a lot of insight by compiling Gnome 2.32 that I wouldn’t have otherwise gained from doing the opposite ;)

5. Thomas says:

Nice work so far.

But what I noticed is that most packages conflict with themselves because they define:

Conflicts: file-roller
    Provides: file-roller = %{version}

That seems to the reason that yum chokes on most of the packages. The easy solution seems to be changing it to:

Conflicts: file-roller >= 3.0
    Provides: file-roller = %{version}

I am currently recompiling all packages and “yum check” is much “nicer” after that change.

Oh, you’re right. I’ll update all packages to reflect your changes, unless you want to send me your versions, I’ll gladly sign and upload them.

Feel free to reach me on IRC (I’m in a dozen #Fedora- channels and in #K3rnel on Freenode.

Regarding the source of gnome-power-manager, I’m uploading the SRPM, looks like I missed it, sorry!

6. Thomas says:

Two further comments:

The source for gnome-power-manager-classic seems to be missing from the repo.

And I think we need a “classic” version of “gnome-session”.

At least for me compiling a “classic” version of gnome-session gave me back the desktop icons.

7. Brian says:

Dear Sir,
    I am very happy to finally find a solution of continue to use gnome 2 in F15, as I am mainly use Fedora for scientific research purpose, I’d imagine that it’s so hard to change to gnome 3. I have a question: I used to manually arrange icons/items in folders (this information is stored in ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata). I was wondering whether this will be kept when using your bluebubble package. Thanks so much.

These packages are “Gnome 2.32″ packages, so whatever files and defaults Gnome used to read, will work here.

8. fredex says:

Nushio:

Just now trying your procedures. when doing “yum groupinstall gnome-desktop-classic” I’m getting conflicts from yum for:

Error: nautilus-classic conflicts with nautilus-3.0.2-1.fc15.i686
    Error: libgnomekbd-classic conflicts with libgnomekbd-3.0.0-3.fc15.i686
    Error: nautilus-classic-extensions conflicts with nautilus-extensions-3.0.2-1.fc15.i686
    Error: gnome-panel-classic-libs conflicts with gnome-panel-libs-3.0.0.1-4.fc15.i686
    Error: gnome-utils-classic conflicts with 1:gnome-utils-3.0.0-1.fc15.i686

is this expected? if so I should just use “–skip-broken” ?? Or should I manually “yum remove” the conflicting packages?

Thanks!

The packages are expected to conflicts with their 3.0 counterparts. You can’t have both, and I decided not to obsolete the newer packages, so you’ll have to remove the new (non-classic) packages and install the old (classic) packages instead.

9. yelits says:

I am encountering a conflict in the groupinstall step…

–> Processing Conflict: libgnomekbd-classic-2.32.0-2.fc14.x86_64 conflicts libgnomekbd >= 3.0
    –> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: libgnomekbd-classic conflicts with libgnomekbd-3.0.0-3.fc15.x86_64

“yum remove libgnomekbd-3.0.0-3.fc15.x86_64″ results in yum telling me that the package is available, but not installed.

Should this be an indicator of a flaw in the rpm:s or their dependencies?

If you have a solution to this, please tell me so I can enjoy F15 with Gnome 3.2!

whole command and output:

Uhm, remove libgnomekbd, my packages don’t automatically replace Gnome’s, so you do have to do it manually.

To remove it, yum remove libgnomekbd.

• yelits says:

“yum remove libgnomekbd″
        or,
        “yum remove libgnomekbd-3.0.0-3.fc15.x86_64″

results in yum telling me that the package is available, but not installed.

Okay, can you yum install libgnomekbd-classic manually? That should resolve the issues. I’ll look at the comps file and see where the error is. It’s probably my fault.

10. yelits says:

Oops, here’s the command again:

11. Christopher Patrick says:

so i install kde to install gnome-classic when i get done how do i remove kde from my system

12. MikeD says:

I’m getting exactly the same error as yelits, even after installing libgnomekbd-classic manually. Not sure if this matters, but I installed F15 using the KDE spin LiveCD.

I just installed BlueBubble, apparently I had to add “–skip-broken”. I’m compiling gnome-screensaver-classic to bypass the skip-broken thing.

I’m currently on a very limited Internet network, so I can’t promise anything until after next Monday.

5 Pings/Trackbacks for "BlueBubble: The Fine Manual"
  1. [...] Q: Alright, how do I get it? A: It’s finally available, however this isn’t your average REPO, I suggest you RTFM. [...]

2. [...] BlueBubble: The Fine Manual If you’re using Fedora 14 and want to switch to BlueBubble, there’s currently no easy way to do this. I recommend you proceed with the regular upgrade, try Gnome 3 for a few days and if you’re not convinced, follow the guide below. [...]

3. [...] repository was published yesterday, as well as “The Fine Manual“. I’ve updated TFM and the FAQ a few times throughout these days to clear things up and [...]

4. [...] última incógnita no está confirmada a dia de hoy pero parece una posibilidad. En el sitio de Nushio puede leerse como agregar su repositorio, de manera que Yum podrá [...]