Calling in the favor

That pic above? That’s BlueBubble. Gnome 2.32 built and running on Fedora 15. You might notice by the rounded tabs that it’s not running GTK2, but GTK3.

Almost everything seems to be working so far. If you pay close attention to the picture above, you’ll notice that several key applets are missing, particularly the gnome-volume-control one and gnome-music-applet (Which I happen to like). In particular, I’m having issues building gnome-python2-desktop (And gnome-applets requires gnome-python2-desktop), so any and all that said “I’d like to help”, here’s your chance.

The error I’m having is getting libtoolize to recognize the newer libraries and build with them. The libraries I can’t get to recognize are these.
The actual build error is this one. (But if I stick to brasero-old and evince-old, I get this instead. )

Despite having several dozen gtksoureview packages installed, including 32 and 64bit libraries, it still won’t recognize it. I know Brasero and Evince might be a different problem, I’d love to be able to build gnome-python2-desktop with the newer Brasero and Evince, but already built the “old” variants in case that’s not plausible without heavy rewriting. If we can’t get new Brasero to work with this, then Rhythmbox will also have to be downgraded to 0.13 instead of 2.90.

At this point, I can safely say that Gnome 2.32 on Fedora is totally possible, and I’ve been using it these past few days with just one major hiccup: Despite gnome-display-properties displaying everything all nice and dandy, It wouldn’t output to an external monitor. I didn’t have time to debug at the moment, but definitely have to solve this before Sunday.

I should have usable packages for everyone in the next few days, I really want to solve the applets issue before releasing them to the public, and figure out a way to do mass keysigns of the RPMs, as well as set up *somewhere* to upload the RPMs, SRPMs and patches I’ve had to use to make this happen.

Last but not least, I’d like to give a shoutout to nirik and gomix who have helped me out along the way. Without them, I probably wouldn’t be typing this from a Gnome 2.32 Fedora 15 machine.

Edit: Spot helped me out, apparently I installed gtksourceview-devel.i686 but forgot to set up gtksourceview-devel.x86_64. Live and learn. I still have issues compiling gnome-python2-applets, which is part of gnome-python2-desktop though. A copy of the build log is here.

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Fedora, packaging
10 comments on “Calling in the favor
  1. Béranger says:

Umm… you know what «dissident» means, right? You’ll end up in Goulag, comrade! Just wait until the Red Hat (Red, comrade!) Politbureau is informed…

2. Peter Gordon says:

As the maintainer of the GNOME Music Applet package in Fedora, I’m sorry to report that it’s essentially defunct. It was superseded in September 2009 by Panflute; and that was dropped by its upstream developer in March 2011. (See https://launchpad.net/panflute/+announcement/7933 for the full announcement.)

Rest assured, I’ll still maintain it in Fedora 13 and 14 for minor bugs and issues until those go EOL; but it’s already been retired for Fedora 15 and Rawhide.

Ah, don’t worry about it. The Rhythmbox integration in Gnome 3 is actually quite good anyway, and I just need the gnome-music-applet a few more months (And will look into Panflute)

Thanks a lot for maintaining gnome-music-applet!

3. Tom Callaway says:

To be clear, are you trying to build gnome-python2-desktop against gtk2 or gtk3?

4. bochecha says:

> “Despite having several dozen gtksoureview packages installed,”

Is it just me, or does it sound like you are not building in a mock chroot?

I’m not building in a mock chroot.

• bochecha says:

Well, some of your problems with build requirements might come from there…

Yesterday on IRC, someone told you he had absolutely no problem building gnome-python2-desktop on Fedora 15 with fedpkg, and fedpkg uses mock.

Yeah, like I said, the problem was that I had gtksourceview-devel.i686 but I’m on a 64bit machine, so I needed to install gtksourceview-devel.x86_64 instead.

5. Assen says:

Great job! I’ll try to help as much as I can.

For the sake of our sanity, can you pleas drop Brasero off entirely and replace it with Gnome Baker (or simply build Nautilus CD Burner from prior to F9)? Brasero is the single worst piece of software I have ever used. The Gnome Baker at least works as expected.